24 October 2013,

London resident chooses name for new health and care centre

A new collaborative care centre in Hammersmith and Fulham has been awarded its official name – Parkview Centre for Health and Wellbeing.

Iona Wilson, who has lived in White City for more than 40 years, came up with the winning entry in a naming competition organised by NHS Hammersmith and Fulham Clinical Commissioning Group.

Iona, whose idea beat more than 50 other contenders, took her inspiration from her visits to neighbouring Wormholt Park with her children when they were growing up. The view from the new health centre will extend over the park.

The retired dressmaker, known throughout the area for her community work, said: “I’ve had the name in my head for a long time. It’s a really good feeling to know that I named a centre that will carry on through history.”

Health Services which are currently provided at White City Health Centre, Canberra Practice for Health and Wellbeing, and St. Dunstan’s Centre, will relocate to the new building which will also house the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham Adult Social Care Team.

The LIFT development, led by West London Health Partnership and in collaboration with the NHS Hammersmith and Fulham Clinical Commissioning Group, Borough Council, Fulcrum Infrastructure Group, Notting Hill Housing and Galliford Try Partnerships, provides a two storey health centre and 170 apartments as part of an affordable housing scheme. Space has also been created to house a supermarket and pharmacy for the benefit of the local community.

Community Health Partnerships, a Department of Health owned company, is a 40% shareholder in West London Heath Partnership, the Local Improvement Finance Trust (LIFT) company and will also be the head tenant for the health centre when it opens. Fulcrum Infrastructure Group own the remaining 60% of the company investing funds on behalf of institutional investors (public and private funds).

West London Health Partnership has also opened a competition with the pupils of Wormholt Primary School to design a piece of playground equipment to be included in the development of Wormholt Park.

Parkview Centre for Health and Wellbeing is due to open in spring 2014.